Enhance your professional development by gaining a better understanding of the maritime history in downtown NYC. Join us for a 2-hour walking tour in downtown New York led by Untapped Cities tour guide, Justin Rivers. The maritime history tailored tour will begin at 10 am at 25 Broadway (The Cunard Bulding) awash in things marine: starfish, seahorses, shells, sirens, an albatross, and the vessels of Columbus and others. The grandly presented theme underscores the power and reach of the Cunard Line when its new headquarters opened in 1919. It was a time when New York City also exercised great power and reach. The metropolis had become the largest city and busiest port in the world. Further highlights of the tour include:
• Exploring the early Dutch era shore line through the stories of infamous sea captains Adrian Block and William Kidd.
• A look inside the Fulton Center transit hub (Fulton Street and Broadway) where turn-of-the-century terra cotta mosaics of NYC's maritime history will be unearthed and discussed
• Walking the less-charted trail along the historic east side slips including Old Slip and Coenties.
• Stopping at other related sites including the Merchant Marine, Seaman’s Church, 17 Battery Park, The Cunnard Building, the Alexander Hamilton Custom's House and a stop at the stunning Merchant Marine Memorial by the historic Pier A building.
• Visiting South Street Seaport where Seaport President and CEO Captain Jonathan Bouleware will lead the group around the Seaport on a short guided tour and we’ll board the Wavertree for an unparalleled views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattanskyline and share the history of this 1885 historic ship
The tour will end at noon at the historic Trading Post. In the 1800s, the six-story granite building that sits at 170 John Street was used as a ship's chandlery, supplying sailors the necessary supplies for the upkeep of their boats. While there won’t be any whale oil or varnish on the menu, Justin Rivers will join us for a festive lunch in the 2nd floor private dining room.
Details: Limited to first 40 attendees. All attendees will receive a wireless audio device to ensure you don’t miss comments of the tour guide! This is a 2-hour walking tour. Dress appropriately and be sure you are up to a 2-hour walk. Fee: $80 members/$120 non-members (includes lunch at Trading Post from 12-2pm)
Justin Rivers, Untapped Cities Tour Guide
Refund requests will be honored if received at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled start date. All refunds will be subject to a processing fee of 4%.